Note: Hosted Fax is a premium feature. If you'd like to add Hosted Fax to your account, please contact your sales representative or Customer Support.
With Hosted Fax, you have a phone number dedicated to receiving faxes. Any fax sent to this number will be delivered to an email address you specify, as a PDF attachment. To send a fax, just attach the document to an email to our fax service (see below for specifics). This way you can send and receive faxes from anywhere you have access to email, without ever having to touch a fax machine.
Setting Up Hosted Fax
If you've just signed up for Hosted Fax, you'll need to complete some basic setup steps before you can use it.
Agree to the Terms
Once logged in to your account, click the Service tab. Then on the left, click Hosted Fax. You'll be taken to a list showing your Hosted Fax number(s).
At the top is a box containing the Hosted Fax Terms Of Service. Read the terms, then check the "I agree to the terms" checkbox. You will not be able to use the Hosted Fax features until this is done.
Configure Incoming Faxes
Next, click on your fax number. (If you have more than one, you'll need to do this for each number.) Scroll to Incoming Email Settings, and enter the email address where you want to receive faxes.
Configure Outgoing Faxes
Only email addresses you authorize will be able to send faxes through your account. Scroll down to the Outgoing Email Settings, and for each email address that should be able to send faxes, enter it next to "Email Faxes from" and click Submit.
If you have more than one Hosted Fax number, note that each email address can only be used in the Outgoing Email Settings for one number.
After following the steps above, click Save. You'll be taken back to the list of Hosted Fax numbers.
Click on the number you just made changes to. Scroll to the bottom and you'll see a blue box that either says Update Pending, Update Failed, or Last Updated with a time stamp.
- Update Pending means we are still saving your changes. This should not take more than a couple of minutes. If several minutes have passed and it still says Update Pending, refresh the page. If it still says Pending, click the Save button again.
- Update Failed means we had a problem saving your changes to the fax servers. This is rare, and can usually be fixed simply by clicking the Save button again.
- Last Updated means your changes were successfully saved at the time and date shown.
If someone wants to send you a fax, all you need to do is give them the phone number from your Hosted Fax page. Once they've sent their fax, it will be turned into a PDF and sent to the email address you specify.
To send a fax to someone else, first make sure you are sending your email from an address that you've authorized (see above).
Write your email as follows:
- Address the email to 1<number>@faxhd.com - so for example, to send a fax to 212-555-1212, you would email email@example.com
- The Subject and Body of the email will be ignored. Still, we recommend setting a relevant subject line so you can search for the email later, in case you need to find it.
- Attach the file you want to send as a fax. You can attach any of these types of files:
- Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX)
- PowerPoint (.PPT, .PPTX)
- Excel (.XLS, .XLSX)
- Visio (.VSD)
- Rich Text Format (.RTF)
- Plain text (.TXT)
- Hypertext Markup Language (.HTML)
- JPEG (.JPG)
- Graphics Interchange Format (.GIF)
- Tagged Image Format (.TIF)
You'll receive an email letting you know that your fax is queued for sending (or letting you know there's a problem, if there is one). Once your fax has been successfully sent, you'll receive another email to confirm.